Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Leaders do have Superpowers

On July 20, 2015 - I came across an #edtechchat on leadership.  I read tweets about what leaders should do, how leaders should act, ineffective leadership styles, and great quotes about leadership.  Although I didn't have time to participate fully in the chat, I did leave something for participants to think about:



Fast forward to the week of July 27, 2015.  I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the Long Island Summer Literacy Institute in Merrick, NY (#LiLit15).  My reading session, hosted by Jennifer Brady (@bradylitcoach) reminded me that educators need to lead readerly lives if we expect our students to be readers.

The amazing author Kwame Alexander aka The Newberry Medalist for The Crossover Kwame Alexander inspired us and reminded us that our students won't "dance naked" unless we do (@kwamealexander).

My writing session was facilitated by JoEllen McCarthy (@JoEllenMcCarthy).  In her usual enthusiastic and contagiously joyful way - we were reminded that as educators  - we also need to lead writerly lives if we expect our students to be writers. JoEllen gave us time in our session to write about things that we are experts on.  After listing my areas of expertise on an "Investigations start with I" chart - I chose the theme of leadership (inspired by the #edtechchat) to reignite my writerly life.

Leaders 
Maybe we are not superhuman.
But as people in the position of leadership we do possess superpowers. 

We have the power to 
*belitte
*ignore
*dominate
*intimidate

We also have the power to 
*empower
*validate
*collaborate
*celebrate

Maybe we are not superhuman. 
But we can use our superpowers for good! 

Summertime and #learningisjoyful.  Can't wait until the final day of the Summer Institute as writer, poet and educator Georgia Heard (@Georgiaheard1) will surely remind me of something Joyful!  



No comments: