Saturday, February 21, 2015

Beyond the Bake Sale - #ptcamp - Week 2 reflections


My role as an administrator in developing partnerships

This year the administrative team at my school has decided to work with cohorts of teachers and serve not only as their immediate supervisor but also as their coach/mentor/partner in education.
By developing more of a partnership with teachers our hope is that we will be able to directly support more teachers, students and families academically, socially and emotionally.  We are a K-5 building with approximately 780 students and 36 class sections.  We will each have 12 teachers (2 per grade) in our respective cohort.

I believe that the key to success in my cohort will be to help teachers develop true partnerships with the families in their classrooms.  I believe that developing partnerships on a class by class level with be more authentic and meaningful rather than trying to meet the needs of all families on a school-wide level at the same time.

We all know what works and Beyond the Bake Sale is a great resource to remind us of best practices. But with all best practices, they only work if you actually do them...consistently....and with the same level of enthusiasm in the beginning of the year until the end of the year.

So as excited as I am about the possibilities, I am more excited about starting small and making meaningful connections with my cohort of teachers, their students and their families.

Success builds Success was a phrase that Michele S. used in reference to the idea of starting with small steps on the way to your goal.  I trust that the success I will have with my cohort of teachers and families will lead to success with all teachers and families in my building.  I will celebrate the growth that is made each day, each week, and each month as we work toward school wide partnership practices.

2/18/14

No comments: