Saturday, February 21, 2015

Just Push - My leadership poem


Saturday, January 24, 2015

Just Push - My leadership poem

JUST PUSH
One day the teacher walked us to the room
The door was closed, the keys inside.
The teacher tried the door, but it didn’t open.
We waited until got another key.
That’s when he realizedit was open all along.
All he had to do was push.

Sometimes,
I think he does us the same way.
Has us waiting,
while he looks for the key of knowledge,
to let us in, when really, all he has to do
is give us a little push
by just thinking…
we can.     
(written by poet lindamichellebaron)

This is one of my favorite poems by lindamichellebaron.  I have it on the cover of my school binder and I read it or parts of it each school day.  I was recently asked to submit a statement of my leadership vision and realized that it was this poem and the idea and action of "pushing " is what shapes my leadership vision.  I am always pushing myself to grow professionally (and personally) and I am always, always pushing the teachers in my school to push past their comfort zone and think about ways to enhance their practice on behalf of their students.  




Intellectually pushing others to think creatively and critically about educational issues that impact the teaching and learning process is what I believe truly defines my leadership style.  As a leader, I am never satisfied with the status quo, particularly educational patterns that do not intentionally improve the academic, social, and emotional growth of all students. 

Every day I ask: “Are we doing this for the best interest of students or just because it’s always been done this way?”  I believe in student empowerment and student voice and believe that we should never underestimate the unique gifts inside each and every child.  I believe that diversity – if truly valued – allows all students and families to be appreciated and respected for the totality of who they are. I believe that before you can teach any child you have to believe in them and respect them as individuals. I believe that you can and must push stereotypical view of what teaching is out of your frame of reference and believe that it is ok to do something different in order to get different results.   I believe that all children can be comfortably pushed to reach their full potential.  I believe that in order to grow you must push...if not we will remain on the other side of the door. 

What poem drives your leadership vision?  Please share! 

No comments: